Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iammonkeymandan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: A few questions Reply with quote

Hey,

First off, I just wanted to say that your screenshots are incredible. I stumbled upon your gamedev journal today while I was looking for some information and can't stop browsing through. It's amazing that you've done all of that by yourself.

Anyways, I'm currently working on an engine mostly just for fun and to see what I can do. However, I'm stuck on creating the landscape. I've planned on creating a big open city for my landscape much like yours. If you didn't mind answering a few questions to get me on the right track that'd be great!

1. How do you get the player to walk the terrain? The physics engine? Every tutorial I find has a heightmap to figure it out but for a city landscape that doesn't work too well (unless I'm wrong).

2. What file format are you using? Right now I'm exporting .x files from 3ds max and it seems to be working out well for the most part (although the axis in 3ds max are different than d3d).

3. How is the landscape broken up? From browsing through your journal, it looks like each building is a mesh. Then each street segment (between intersections) is mesh? Obviously street lamps, trees, mailboxes, etc. are all separate meshes, right?

Sorry if these questions seem obvious but I'm having trouble starting in the right direction.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

PS - It's refreshing to find a developer take the time to help others.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks a lot Smile

1 - Well you don't necssarily have to handle character movement through the physics engine [though I do]. You esentially want to cast a ray down from the player's position and find out what the height is below it. So start by creating a generic Ray -> Triangle intersection function. Then it'll work for all types of geometry since cities / terrain are all composed of triangles. The key part is to optimize the searches for what triangle your character is under. Which is another reason I use a tile based system.

2 - I'm using 2 formats, .x for character models / objects and .ms3d for city geometry.

3 - As you've guessed I use a tile based system for all city geometry. Entities can be seperate meshes, it depends if they're static or not.

I hope I've been able to help you out, if you want any more info, or if I wasn't specific enough, just lemme know! Thanks again for the words about my game.

- Dan
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

iammonkeymandan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn't expect a response so fast! Thanks, that helps a lot. Everything was along the lines of what I was thinking. I just don't want to realize a year from now that there's a better way of doing things. I know that it will happen but I'm trying to minimize the number of times it will.

Oh, where'd you get the design for that Diamonds strip club? A few miles from my house is a Diamonds and although I'm not sure, I think it has the same logo.

Thanks again! If I have any more questions I'm sure I'll be back (although I will be back to see more screenshots!)

-Dan
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yea I saw a Diamonds online and thought it was a cool logo to use for a strip club...you think they'd mind Smile I guess I'll have to change it.

Anyways yea you seem to be on the right track, jsut lemme know if you have any more Qs.

- Dan
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

iammonkeymandan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the Newton physics engine and I love it. I opened an old teapot demo that I had, added in some Newton code and 15 minutes later the teapot was falling due to gravity. Now I'll be able to focus on other things besides collisions!

Now I just have to find out why it's telling me that I have memory leaks after implementing Newton.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: