Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back! Wondering how AI's progressing.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Urban Empires
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arbiter
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Back! Wondering how AI's progressing. Reply with quote

Danny! How's the AI for offline mode coming along? Still planning on a robust code or is it sort of an afterthought to the online mode (wouldn't blame you if it was since it's not the point).
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same AI code that will be in the online mode.

NPC gangsters/cops/civs...and then there's the CPU controlled players [ to simulate a user controlling a gang ].

It's all re-used offline [ I call it "Offline Practice" ].

I've already coded up multiple iterations of both.

Actually then trickiest AI was the vehicle traffic AI...and those pesky 2 way 4 lane roads...ugh. Traffic jams were a huge problem, I had to make them 3 lane 1-way roads instead to fix the issue.

- Danny
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

TermlessHalo
Street thug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the AI going to take cover when there is a drive-by?
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea but it won't be like in games liek geras of war, in the same way that GTA won't let you design your own cities, manage gang activities, or play with 64 people in the same server...there are trade offs in each area...the game has strategic aspects in exchange for a dynamic cover system like gears of war, et al...

Just chill and see what the beta is like, no need to check the forums every day i'll get up with you guys when it's ready.
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

Arbiter
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like checking up.

I remember the mod for mafia, the ill-fated city of lost dreams or summat (COLD mod) they tried to create AI to have a taxi drive you around instead of just driving yourself. The taxi driver was constantly wrecking or getting jammed.

Hell the original AI for mafia had you playing some levels 2 or 3 times, and they had pre-pathed routes for AI in the story mode, it's just that occasionally a huge truck would get in the way and fuck everything up. Traffic was always screwed, the only saving grace for them was the memory cleared once you'd passed by so it didn't turn into a huge problem.

But yeah traffic AI = bleh.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeaaa it's a lot of work i had it working pretty well a yea or two ago...flawlessly on simple 2 lane roads.

I'dDoAnythingForMoney
Made Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD that reminds me of the taxi drivers in gta 4 lol they smash around for 20 mins then eventually get going at 200 miles per hour crashing into every car on the way i get a taxi on thet game just for fun
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Urban Empires All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: