Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5/12/2010 - Rendering millions of trees....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: 5/12/2010 - Rendering millions of trees.... Reply with quote

Million Tree Rendering
The last few days I've been working on upgraded tree rendering system. It needs to support a few million trees per world. I use a static imposter system at far distances, a dynamic imposter system for nearer trees, and trees near the camera are rendered full 3D.

Hardware instancing using multiple vertex streams is the key. There is no LOD/culling on trees in the below screenshots, so I'm rendering the millions of trees every frame. This is mostly to help give an idea how slow things will be running with 16,000+ dynamic imposters on all the entities in the game world. Performance is not bad even on my aging 3 year old computer.

Sun rendering
I've also made a pass on the sun rendering and the night-skybox rendering code. The full dynamic 24-hour day system is almost *something something* complete. *something something dark side*. And by that I mean it's just about functioning again. If you remember my previous post about a week ago, I've had to re-write my HDR pipeline. So I'm going over all the effects and updating them while re-integrating them with the new pipeline.

Everything shown in these screenshots is faked using my own approximations, no fancy atmospheric scattering algorithms here ... just good old fashioned smoke and mirrors ;-o

All these graphics stuff...what about gameplay
Yes I'm aware a tree-renderer isn't the goal here ... but in order for me to be excited about a project I have to keep updating the gfx lol. I am about to transition heavily into work on the integrated WYSIWYG editor, also building up the Real-Time Strategy interface. This is going to be a full-on strategy wargame. The kind of thing I've always wanted to make. Obviously you can also control any unit on your team, at any time - which makes things more interesting.

Screenshots...
Please don't hate me because I don't thumbnail my screenshots :-p

- Dan
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

harmar
Street thug

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me wanty now damnit!!!! lol
noobgamer100
Tah Newb

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Thinks for a while* hmm.... This reminds me of crysis. I mean the island. And the water, it looks like VERY, VERY realistic. Keep up tje good work man. hope you're gonna improve the vehicles/robots whatsoever, because i watched one of ur old videos, and the vehicles looked like plastic, XD.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobgamer100 wrote:
*Thinks for a while* hmm.... This reminds me of crysis. I mean the island. And the water, it looks like VERY, VERY realistic. Keep up tje good work man. hope you're gonna improve the vehicles/robots whatsoever, because i watched one of ur old videos, and the vehicles looked like plastic, XD.

lol, yea everything is being improved. thanks for words. Wait till you see the next update Cool

btw. this stuff above runs FASTER than the previous builds I released ... I still have a few things to re-add though.
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

noobgamer100
Tah Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:
noobgamer100 wrote:

lol, yea everything is being improved. thanks for words. Wait till you see the next update Cool

btw. this stuff above runs FASTER than the previous builds I released ... I still have a few things to re-add though.

fuck, you made me excited xD. And good it runs faster, i guess.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobgamer100 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
noobgamer100 wrote:

fuck, you made me excited xD. And good it runs faster, i guess.

Faster means more objects, or less objects w better framerate.
I'm working on the physics now, I've re-integrated Havok physics from the old build. The game goes up to 120 FPS in some areas on my 3 year old computer.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: