Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11/14/2010 - Armored Warfare Update

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: 11/14/2010 - Armored Warfare Update Reply with quote

Hey guys, it has been a while since the last update I know, sorry to keep you in suspense Smile I just got back from a secret location in Europe meeting w/the publisher for Armored Warfare - the signing of the game will be announced soon. I've never been to Europe so it was a fun trip Smile

I was at their office for a week, we brought on a game designer (who worked on the Ground Control / World in Conflict series) to help us design the game, we also had a concept artist sitting in drafting up our ideas. It was a good time meeting w the publisher staff as well, they are an awesome group of people and I'm really looking forward to seeing what we can come up with. We are now working on fleshing out all the details in the design over e-mail / skype.

With all that said, we took an interesting turn with the Armored Warfare direction, obviously I can't spill the beans right now - so try not to be so confused when checking out the screenshots and other updates lol. I can re-use all of the work I've done on Armored Warfare so far, at least I don't have to start over.

On the development front, I made a few modifications to the engine in the last few days...
- I added support for static skyboxes (up until this point there has only been support for dynamic time of day)
- New RTS camera loosely based around the World in Conflict camrea ( hybrid RTS/Freelook camera system )
- New terrain texturing system
- Resized terrain from 18km x 18km to 9km x 9km, which doubled the resolution
- Work on a new in-game world editor
- Lots of updates taking into account the game's new direction

Here are a few screenshots ( all trees, foliage, grass, etc. has been removed temporarily, they will be added back in the next few days ) -

Static Skyboxes

Collection of static times of day - Blue Sky, Sunset, Overcast, Cloudy

Props on the new landscape ( before final tweaking of environment lighting values)

Stripped down game engine, before adding new terrain texturing / static sykboxes
*Note this is how the old sky looked!

Until next time...

- Dan
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

Last edited by dgreen on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's going a bit more RTS style. It is always good to keep quiet and not deal w/ wondering what people think about your game. I always had the problem of getting pissed when people commented on small things in a WIP screenshot.

You should follow the guys at wolfire games if you don't. They have a cool and sometimes technical blog that's interesting.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam450 wrote:
Sounds like it's going a bit more RTS style. It is always good to keep quiet and not deal w/ wondering what people think about your game. I always had the problem of getting pissed when people commented on small things in a WIP screenshot.

You should follow the guys at wolfire games if you don't. They have a cool and sometimes technical blog that's interesting.

Yup we are going more RTS for sure Smile More like Urban Empires which is a RTS/FPS hybrid.

Heh, yea I try to explain as much as possible so I can avoid that kind of thing, sometimes people go into how I'm not finishing a game, etc...they don't have any clue whats going on behind the scenes. And it's not like I can post pictures of me in front of the publishers logo at their studio to prove I'm not making it all up (until the game is announced at least) ... lol you should have read the post I deleted from the Urban Empires forum yesterday, ugh.

Funny you mention wolfire, I just looked their site/blog up the other day to see what they were up to. They do some pretty cool stuff, I love their terrain update for their engine a few months ago. Looks like they are mostly done w engine work on their latest game and are rounding out the gameplay.

I'm looking forwrd to see how the situation w my new publisher works out, they are really doing lots of awesome stuff for me, and it should help my work process a lot, especially the testing and pushing forward of elements I'd usually just keep working on forever if I had the choice.

Very Happy

- Dan
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea its always best to keep quiet and keep rolling on personal good thoughts and ambition. I basically stopped working on games since I got a job in May and I'm officially 3 days into one of my old projects.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/317/0/b/boss_fight__by_dpadam450-d32sg1m.jpg

Get that signing press release out.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam450 wrote:
Yea its always best to keep quiet and keep rolling on personal good thoughts and ambition. I basically stopped working on games since I got a job in May and I'm officially 3 days into one of my old projects.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/317/0/b/boss_fight__by_dpadam450-d32sg1m.jpg

Get that signing press release out.

Heh, yea the timing of the press releases etc is in the hands of the publisher PR department. We are waiting until we have some ingame stuff w the game's new direction, we've already planned out the first trailer. Surprised

adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You using any anisotropic filtering on your terrain? I had never set my textures to full anisotropic and it looks phenomenal. Even using like 4x aniso is 400x better than none.
MrG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the game launches do you have plans to add new maps, expansion packs, etc.?

Will this be able to convert to Apple Systems or will I have to build a PC?
harmar
Street thug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowing danny he will go "ummmmmm um to lazy...busy...sitting drinking beer..." and force you to get a PC ^_^
MrG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a personal computer is a personal computer

easy frag to be playable

My goal is to be the pinball kid from some 80s movie and beat Dan Dann at his own game
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, no Mac support sorry -_- everything is based around DirectX, use a windows emulator and it should work.

dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam450 wrote:
You using any anisotropic filtering on your terrain? I had never set my textures to full anisotropic and it looks phenomenal. Even using like 4x aniso is 400x better than none.

Good call, right now it's disabled I'll enable it and see how much better it looks.

adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea here is my conclusion w/ anisotropic.
https://popgames2.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/anisotropic-texture-filtering/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: