Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12/23/2010 - World Editor Video (pt1) Terrain/Entity

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: 12/23/2010 - World Editor Video (pt1) Terrain/Entity Reply with quote

The last few days I've been working on a real-time world editor for the game. Specifically I've been working on the terrain and entity tools.

Entity Tool - Ability to place objects ranging from helicopters to barrels, and buildings. There are translate, rotate, and a 'face cursor in world-space function so far.

Terraform Tool - Adjust terrain up/down with adjustable brush size.

Here is a link to the video I uploaded showing the two tools -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUMNL8P4niM

This also opens up the ability to have destructable terrain, the Havok physics representation is updated in real-time. The texture locks on the GPU version of the heightmap are the bottleneck at the moment. I'm really excited about this Surprised

I'll be improving the editor and adding a lot of stuff like trigger boxes for gameplay events, more customization of the environment/time of day, and all the standard stuff like road and fence tools. Hopefully I can get 2 more videos of the editor uploaded showing different tools and the overall progress without getting into game-specific content Wink

Here are some screengrabs from the video for those who don't wanna watch it :-p

Terrain Editor...

Entity Editor...

- Dan
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your terrain self-shadows real-time or static light map? They seem to be updating fast so I assume you are at least generating them on the gpu.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam450 wrote:
Are your terrain self-shadows real-time or static light map? They seem to be updating fast so I assume you are at least generating them on the gpu.

Because I was using a dynamic lighting/shadowing system before I switched to static skyboxes ... it was dead simple. Now I only update the global shadow map 1 time per second. This works also if I want to go back to dynamic time of day.

Though now that I think about it I don't really thing I needed to update my global shadow map every frame... Surprised

Game gets like 70 FPS at 1600x900 w 1000 units. Now I just need to flesh out the environment more, and re-add post-process shader effects like DOF, Motion blur, etc.
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing cascaded maps and updating each one on a different timestep. level 0 (biggest) is like every 5 seconds, and then the closest is on a very small step.

I think you are good on tech to just focus on the gameplay.
adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing the 4 cardinal directions, I'll try 3x3 later on.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam450 wrote:
I was doing cascaded maps and updating each one on a different timestep. level 0 (biggest) is like every 5 seconds, and then the closest is on a very small step.

I think you are good on tech to just focus on the gameplay.

Cool Smile

Yea obviously I can't post game specific stuff yet as the game/publisher have not been announced publicly. Will be soon though Very Happy

rappen
Mini-Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adgarrga nb[Arehgq[ski8sdhrhsfghjykj67k

Sorry, i was wiping the cum off my keyboard

dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rappen wrote:
adgarrga nb[Arehgq[ski8sdhrhsfghjykj67k

Sorry, i was wiping the cum off my keyboard

Shocked Shocked

harmar
Street thug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, reminds of of Trainz Railroad Simulator minus the buggyness ^_^
very smooth
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: