Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Development DVDs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Game Development DVDs Reply with quote

Been something I wanted to do for a while. Check it out man:

www.ultimategamedevelopment.com

DVD 2 is going to cover putting together a single mission from a flight sim like HAWX or Apache Air Assault. Covering the whole development process as a code along, make along. You know like those "Making of Halo" dvds that are actually just 10 minutes of halo clips and people sitting at their desk talking about halo, except actually a true making of DVD.

Gonna be pretty awesome. Got laid off after working on Sims 3 Pets, EA cancelled our next project so I got some time to finally work some 10-12 hour days on this.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Surprised
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how it is to learn on your own with no-one showing you step by step what to learn, or step by step how to actually do it. Pretty hard, lots of scattered resources, and from tons of authors so its not linear learning at all. No author can assume you know exactly the pre-requisites to start their book. Took me about a week to understand shadow maps, read like 3 different white papers, thought about it for a week, finally realized what was going on, then coding it of course took me a while, they never came out right.

And currently no book actually covers making a game, they cover shaders or physics and what not. Just took me way to long to get to where I am because nobody answered my questions, in order to work towards making next-gen games. You know put a model in, now what? Oh do this, ok. Plus I'd rather see the stuff built in action with video than a couple pages in a book you know. Describing how to code animation or matrices is visual. Needs a whiteboard explanation.

Gonna be quite a task but there is just a big gap in info from what I see. So many people have no clue, like its all magic and programming anything more than UI is too much for them. We had 11 programmers on the Sims 3 Pets UI team alone. Was kind of sad. I mentioned I do OpenGL and this guy was like: "OpenGL is dumb, they just went to 4.0 and DX is at like 12." Of course he never used either of them, but its just the general impression I always get from the industry is that you can't do anything until you get a 10 million budget and 20 employees. Hopefully it does well and people actually learn some stuff.

In the future I might expand if this works out financially. Focus on more specific topics from other authors or whatever. Kind of Gnomon for programmers, but its some art, design, and majority programming.

I'll keep you updated on it.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome man, looking forward to it!

- Dan
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: