Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go here now...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Urban Empires
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I make Urban Empires a FPS or leave it 3rd person when controlling a gangster?
First person shooter! I wanna see the game's 50 guns up close!
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
3rd person, I like to pretend I'm playing WoW
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
I want to play from the 5th person point of view, in other words, I dont care just gimme teh game!!11fs
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
I'm spoiled and unrealistic, I want BOTH!!! MUHAHAA
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
third person..

there are to many FPS games lately, don't make this game just another one of them. follow saints row, or GTA.

the shooting in those games were very fun. San Andreas style of combat would be good for this game.

I'll make it both. Yea, there's been so many FPS gangster games...like...uh....damn can't think of any Wink

creating an FPS would seem like you are following the rest of the crowd that does so.

a massive amount of titles recently have been FPS. MASSIVE GUD SIR.

and kinda off topic.. if you haven't tried Fallen Earth you should for the mix of first person and third.

Meh, I don't care how other games do it, or how MANY of them do it, I'm not copying anybody lol .... that's why I'm telling you I don't give a shit what games are doing-what I'm working on this game I've had designed for 5 years...

The only area I pay attention to other games is when it comes to visuals/rendering..

a) because I enjoy it
b) most idiots only look at a game's graphics and so it has to be somewhat visually appealing/modern

EH....but yea, I have all the best hardware and games, and so I know what is out there, but I'm not into riding certain 'waves' of game genres. Especailly like I said I'm not really competing against thest guys who spent 1000x more $ than I did, I just need the hardcore parts of each genre to buy the game - and they do, if it's half way decent.

i'm just saying.. a game doesn't need FPS to be hardcore.

I think third person only would define the game. would you rather see a bunch of your crew with first person or a larger view? same goes for looking around the city. i'd rather be able to see down a street corner by turning my camera than moving.

sure you could make the game do a mix.. but it's always good to have something define a game. you might not care about what other games are doing. yet you don't want customers thinking this is just another FPS.

just saying man.
-Secondlife
-There
-SAMP
www.rl-rpg.nl/forum/index.php
www.radioactive-software.com
Don Moris.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
third person..

there are to many FPS games lately, don't make this game just another one of them. follow saints row, or GTA.

the shooting in those games were very fun. San Andreas style of combat would be good for this game.

I'll make it both. Yea, there's been so many FPS gangster games...like...uh....damn can't think of any Wink

creating an FPS would seem like you are following the rest of the crowd that does so.

and kinda off topic.. if you haven't tried Fallen Earth you should for the mix of first person and third.

Meh, I don't care how other games do it, or how MANY of them do it, I'm not copying anybody lol .... that's why I'm telling you I don't give a shit what games are doing-what I'm working on this game I've had designed for 5 years...

The only area I pay attention to other games is when it comes to visuals/rendering..

a) because I enjoy it
b) most idiots only look at a game's graphics and so it has to be somewhat visually appealing/modern

EH....but yea, I have all the best hardware and games, and so I know what is out there, but I'm not into riding certain 'waves' of game genres. Especailly like I said I'm not really competing against thest guys who spent 1000x more $ than I did, I just need the hardcore parts of each genre to buy the game - and they do, if it's half way decent.

I think third person only would define the game. would you rather see a bunch of your crew with first person or a larger view? same goes for looking around the city. i'd rather be able to see down a street corner by turning my camera than moving.

sure you could make the game do a mix.. but it's always good to have something define a game. you might not care about what other games are doing. yet you don't want customers thinking this is just another FPS.

just saying man.

It's just really easy code wise to add 3rd and 1st person [ it's already DONE ]... the only issues I can imagine with adding a 1st person view into Urban Empires would be lack of hands to match the player model. I'd have to have like 30 hand models created for the game ... so I guess 1st person is off the table ... unless I just use a generic ghost hand/arm model with an emphasis on the gun models - it might work, or use heavy depth-of-field like COD does...AH I dunno, either way the game will look slightly odd and never be 100% like the big companies, unless you want me to spend time coding inverse kinematics for the players feet and use the fancy HAvok tools I have here - that's a lot of time, and I'd have to rewrite the animation system for that to work ....

So much stuff to think over, and many things you guys don't know about - still it looks like 1st person might not be possible -_-

Thansk jerk Warlock.
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
third person..

a) because I enjoy it

just saying man.

It's just really easy code wise to add 3rd and 1st person [ it's already DONE ]... the only issues I can imagine with adding a 1st person view into Urban Empires would be lack of hands to match the player model. I'd have to have like 30 hand models created for the game ... so I guess 1st person is off the table ... unless I just use a generic ghost hand/arm model with an emphasis on the gun models - it might work, or use heavy depth-of-field like COD does...AH I dunno, either way the game will look slightly odd and never be 100% like the big companies, unless you want me to spend time coding inverse kinematics for the players feet and use the fancy HAvok tools I have here - that's a lot of time, and I'd have to rewrite the animation system for that to work ....

So much stuff to think over, and many things you guys don't know about - still it looks like 1st person might not be possible -_-

Thansk jerk Warlock.

WOW REALLY THE WARLOCK SHIT.

Neutral

you would have to modify every gun to make sure it looks right in the hands. and new skins for the hands in first person.

or just give everyone gloves? lol.

it would mean having to modify and add a bunch of small stuff over and over again.

I just think you should focus on having one part fucking amazing. rather than supplementing for an FPS.
-Secondlife
-There
-SAMP
Don Moris.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
third person..

a) because I enjoy it

just saying man.

Thansk jerk Warlock.

Neutral

you would have to modify every gun to make sure it looks right in the hands. and new skins for the hands in first person.

it would mean having to modify and add a bunch of small stuff over and over again.

I just think you should focus on having one part fucking amazing. rather than supplementing for an FPS.

Yes, these are the same conclusions I came to in 2003/2004 - Urban Empires was based on Gang Wars, which was based on a prototype FPS game I made called Agent 51.

But yea, I guess I will focus on 3rd person - It's not going to be perfect because I have very small animation budget. I can use some Inverse Kinematics I've learned for robot leg physics in warbots to improve shooting, walking on steps, everything in real-time that's how Crysis does their leg models.
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
third person..

a) because I enjoy it

just saying man.

Thansk jerk Warlock.

Neutral

Yes, these are the same conclusions I came to in 2003/2004 - Urban Empires was based on Gang Wars, which was based on a prototype FPS game I made called Agent 51.

But yea, I guess I will focus on 3rd person - It's not going to be perfect because I have very small animation budget. I can use some Inverse Kinematics I've learned for robot leg physics in warbots to improve shooting, walking on steps, everything in real-time that's how Crysis does their leg models.

I would like to see this Agent 51 you speaks of.

is it an alien CIA agent? bam 2 million copies sold.
-Secondlife
-There
-SAMP
Don Moris.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
third person..

a) because I enjoy it

just saying man.

Thansk jerk Warlock.

Neutral

I would like to see this Agent 51 you speaks of.

is it an alien CIA agent? bam 2 million copies sold.

Agent 51 was a going to be a cliche FPS game where you play an ex-CIA dude whose family gets taken hostage by gangsters - instead it turned into a gangster game once I started creating a city environment got the idea for Urban Empires/Gang Wars.

ope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well most games when it is open world, and u look up or from high spot u look at the city, it ussally has a drop of fps. (u know, when there are mony objects to render in the screen, and some of them need the detail to be rendered).
1 more thing, this drop of frame i think its due to blurr effect and rain, storm, etc.

does in the city game, rains?
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ope wrote:
well most games when it is open world, and u look up or from high spot u look at the city, it ussally has a drop of fps. (u know, when there are mony objects to render in the screen, and some of them need the detail to be rendered).
1 more thing, this drop of frame i think its due to blurr effect and rain, storm, etc.

does in the city game, rains?

This is the OLD rain effect from "Gang Wars" - this was in Urban Empires before it was even called Urban Empires [ 2006ish ].

The FPS was due to lack of hardware instancing and other things I could have taken advantage of, it's a complicated situation SM3.0 hardware had not yet saturated the market in 2007 I'd be the only motherfucker playin the game if I released it back then. Also you can take advantage of advanced occlusion algorithms using SM3.0, there are so many things I know how to do NOW that I didn't know a year ago Surprised I basically know everything now xD

Anways, here is the OLD rain from years ago, it's going to look way better in my other game [ Warbots / Armored Warfare ] - I'll post an update in my dev journal once i finish the new version.

The old version from years ago -

Last edited by dgreen on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw ... ALL of my games will always have 100% dynamic time of day and weather systems.

ope

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what u mean dynamic?
have the same time as outside world?
about the rain, now i get, why they use blurr effect when it rains (to make much more real).
that lighting looks gorgeous.

when i watch those pictures it makes me wish to play the game. as much as i can tell, u seem to add extra touch to detail (those make the difference) and the other thing i can tell about you is that u like to be unique.

is your city based on any city in the world?
...and are u going to add secrets?
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ope wrote:
what u mean dynamic?
about the rain, now i get, why they use blurr effect when it rains (to make much more real).

when i watch those pictures it makes me wish to play the game. as much as i can tell, u seem to add extra touch to detail (those make the difference) and the other thing i can tell about you is that u like to be unique.

No, I mean the time of day and weather IN-GAME is moving just like real life, just way faster, so in-game a whole day will go by, but in the real world it's only been 5 minutes. There are also in-game weather patterns I dynamically generate at the start of each level. Everything will be different everytime you play - GTA has a system just like that - have you ever played GTA ? We're all just trying to simulate reality.

Thanks for comments about images, I can't stress enough how old these images are in terms of my technology, I just need a bit more time before I can post images of the new technology w/urban empires. It'll look great Smile There's not even any kind of normal mapping/bump mapping in those scenes.

Cities are created with the in-game city editor, and can be uploaded and shared between users online [ already coded and finished in the game, there are about 5 cities i've made so far ] .. the pawn shop video on www.urbanempires.com [ scroll down ] shows the city editor, I've also typed up everything you'd ever want to know 1000 times before in the previous posts on the forum, and my dev journal over the years. It's just sort of hard to organize all the information Surprised Maybe once the games are done I will setup the years of development tracking into an easier to view package.

Also, no secrets lol - I'll let GTA handle that kind of stuff. But yea users can make cities based off whatever they want, there can be hills in the game etc now that I've updated my technology/engine everything is possible

warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:
ope wrote:
what u mean dynamic?

No, I mean the time of day and weather IN-GAME is moving just like real life, just way faster, so in-game a whole day will go by, but in the real world it's only been 5 minutes. There are also in-game weather patterns I dynamically generate at the start of each level. Everything will be different everytime you play - GTA has a system just like that - have you ever played GTA ? We're all just trying to simulate reality.

Thanks for comments about images, I can't stress enough how old these images are in terms of my technology, I just need a bit more time before I can post images of the new technology w/urban empires. It'll look great Smile There's not even any kind of normal mapping/bump mapping in those scenes.

Cities are created with the in-game city editor, and can be uploaded and shared between users online [ already coded and finished in the game, there are about 5 cities i've made so far ] .. the pawn shop video on www.urbanempires.com [ scroll down ] shows the city editor, I've also typed up everything you'd ever want to know 1000 times before in the previous posts on the forum, and my dev journal over the years. It's just sort of hard to organize all the information Surprised Maybe once the games are done I will setup the years of development tracking into an easier to view package.

Also, no secrets lol - I'll let GTA handle that kind of stuff. But yea users can make cities based off whatever they want, there can be hills in the game etc now that I've updated my technology/engine everything is possible

honestly.. that day and night timing stuff sounds kinda gey.

but it's probably not as bad as you made it sound.

because 2.5 minutes in day and 2.5 minutes in night isn't cool.

if it's possible, you should let the host select the time of day / weather / how often it changes.
-Secondlife
-There
-SAMP
Don Moris.
warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ya what about dat place you were gonna add that says Moris.

mmhm.

gud sir.
-Secondlife
-There
-SAMP
Don Moris.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
ope wrote:
what u mean dynamic?

if it's possible, you should let the host select the time of day / weather / how often it changes.

The day time is a server variable - you think I can code a video game myself and not think to make the time-multplier a variable the users can define ?

That's the whole point of pc gaming - is shit like that....

damnit warlock you gotta trust me. It's also controllable if you're playing practice offline and want to mess with things.

warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:
warlord11030 wrote:
dgreen wrote:
ope wrote:
what u mean dynamic?

The day time is a server variable - you think I can code a video game myself and not think to make the time-multplier a variable the users can define ?

That's the whole point of pc gaming - is shit like that....

damnit warlock you gotta trust me. It's also controllable if you're playing practice offline and want to mess with things.

fine fine shet shet.

but srsly danny.

don't cause a ruckus.
-Secondlife
-There
-SAMP
Don Moris.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Urban Empires All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: