Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2/25/2010 - Weapon muzzle flashes, early dropship screenshot

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: 2/25/2010 - Weapon muzzle flashes, early dropship screenshot Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm about to check out so I'll keep this quick [ been working for many hours ].

I posted a WIP image earlier of the aerial dropship based on the V22 Osprey design ... my artist finished the model. The main LOD0 comes in at 11,500 triangles with 4096^2 maps [ that's 150MB of texture data ]. This model is crazy.

I'm in the process of rewriting/refactoring/optimizing key parts of the game for the final time/iteration *fingers crossed*. The terrain is still in 'temp status' that's why it's totally flat and featureless Wink. Terrain is next up on the chopping block. The biggest change will be separating the map into chunks of flat-hilly areas mostly generated w/perlin noise. The other [ new ] part of the maps will be tessellated much more and will be based off a usual fractal mid-point displacement algorithm to generate some sharper mountains to contrast the smooth hills.

So before I can go on to the terrain I've finished some other systems such as optimizing the building/env object rendering system, the character rendering system [ I know I said it was done before - but there are so many fine details ]...especially when dealing w/150MB texture data per asset and 10,000+ triangles per asset. There are so many LOD systems and considerations. Some of the recent additions I made today include...

- Muzzle flashes on character model [ adapting the model's 2nd light to match muzzle flash direction and color ]. I also added heat blur and dynamic lighting on the terrain. This is best displayed via video format - but until I get the terrain and the rest of the game back together screenshots will have to do ;-o
- Support for interior lighting on character model[ adapting the model's 2nd light to match interior building lighting ]
- Optimization of building/env object rendering [ creating lower detail (LOD) pixel shaders ]
- Optimization of specular texture size. Why load a 2048x2048 color/normal/specular map set when the specular map plays such a small role in the overall display of the model. Running things w/a 2048^2 color/normal map and a 256^2 specular map looks nearly identical...and gives a very nice speed increase.

I'm having all these assets created at uber resolution ... but my main work/test machine is still a 32-bit XP machine. Luckily I'm forward looking and am including uber-resolution modes where things are unnecessarily high detailed. Usually 4-8x higher resolution than I can really test/show in these screenshots. Hopefully somebody w/ a DX11 1750MB card somewhere can show me how it looks :-p

Eh...on to "the work in progress" screenshots. I've stripped out nearly every aspect of the game for a final optimization pass ... so remember that lol.

I'm embarrassed of these screenies, due to the lame-flat-terrain in the background. Don't worry - I'm waking up bright and early 2morrow to finalize the terrain/random generation system for good Surprised

Note lighting on front of helmet

[img]http://www.radioactive-software.com/warfare/MuzzleFlash1.jpg[img]

the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

Last edited by dgreen on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the updated version...

the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

harmar
Street thug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks alsome
rappen
Mini-Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny's version of "Keeping it short"

Looks awesome Wink

gundamage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just awesome but i really like it!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: