Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sweet article

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Sweet article Reply with quote

http://www.tentonhammer.com/gettysburg-aw/early-preview
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickett’s Charge meets planes, tanks, and one extraordinarily dedicated developer.
On the screen before me is an idyllic, impressively nuanced Pennsylvania farmscape, mottled by text describing features like “Little Round Top” and “Seminary Ridge”, along with tattered waving star-deficient US flags representing blue-uniformed Union troops. “The environment is procedurally generated,” says Danny Green, whose card states he’s the President, Lead Programmer, and sole Artist of Radioactive Games.

Then, Danny blows my mind: “I built the rending engine in just over a day.” He calls it the Impostor rendering system – named as such because the game switches between 2D and 3D just before the average eye could appreciate the distinction. Notwithstanding some assistance from the Havok physics engine… a day?

Danny, deadpan yet almost vibrating with nervous intensity, dropped these little gems throughout the interview. I’ve been in the presence of genius several times – people who have the knowledge, energy, and drive to do things that 20 everyday people, given the same training – would struggle to do. It’s always a little like this, and I get the feeling Danny works best when he’s working alone, given loose rein by a publisher that earnestly appreciates the value of an independent developer (such as his current arrangement) .

gettysburg: armored warfare
This is confirmed when I ask about his history in games programming. Danny began programming in C++ at an age when most of us were still thought that it didn’t get much better than Matchbox cars and Barbie dolls. Then, in his early twenties, while most of the more computer literate of us were taking introductory computer programming classes, Danny had invested a quarter million dollars of his own money into Urban Empires, an 3D online gangster warfare RTS that (you guessed it) he alone had built. With that game, Danny had made the mistake of selling the rights to Strategy First and had no shortage of expletives to describe how that company, now in bankruptcy, had ill-treated his freshman commercial project.

With Danny’s Gettysburg: Armored Warfare, he ‘s confident that things will go much better. This stands to reason: Paradox Interactive is a publisher well acquainted with smaller, more innovative studios making games for nichey audiences (especially the grand strategy / high-realism wargaming crowd).

Setting aside the astonishment factor occasioned by Danny’s one-man show, G:AW is a monumentally unapologetic genre-fuser. Consider the backstory: a mad genius travels back through time from 2060, bringing futuristic weaponry to the Confederate side at the American Civil War’s turning-point: Gettysburg. A future government responds to this weird-ass plan by diametrically arming the Union side, and the stage is set for players to take on the form of generals on both sides. The highest ranking generals get the best arms and armament from their time-forward benefactors, but nothing too high powered. Think steampunk armor and airships, not fusion weaponry and stealth bombers.

gettysburg: armored warfare
Check out that sweet steampunk goodness!
These player generals, rather than a campaign mode or territorial control system, are the persistent side of the game; they not only level up and gain new abilities, but through the item store feature of Paradox Connect can build and equip their armies (using an army point-buy basis,typical of miniature gaming). Paradox Connect will also do things like achievements and stat tracking.

Danny explained that the Gettyburg: Armored Warfare will be a true action RTS, meaning that players could command units around the 9 km x 9 km battlefield as a general or jump directly into the hobnailed boots of into any of the 500+ unites per side (just over 1,000 total can be on the map at any given time). Up to 64 players can compete in any given map. But rather than 64 players doing 64 different things, Danny plans to implement a chain of command just like a real army, with different sized armies (and, of course, different general abilities) for different ranks.

Despite the name of the game, a variety of different Civil War battles will be included in the game, so water units will be seen (as well as the slightly advanced air and ground units featured in the concept art).

If developing the game solo isn’t tough enough, Danny has put himself on a blistering 8-month development cycle, so launch is expected in summer 2011 with beta in the next few months. Until then, we’ll watch Civil War documentaries while reading Paul Di Filippo steampunk novels and wonder… what if?
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

adam450
Gangsta'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you feel its easier by yourself though and also that you start feeling everyone else is lazy?

Keep the posts coming. You should be a subscriber blog like Wolfire games though. I get the email to read when there is a new post instead of having to come to the forum once a week and see if anything is new.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam450 wrote:
Don't you feel its easier by yourself though and also that you start feeling everyone else is lazy?

Keep the posts coming. You should be a subscriber blog like Wolfire games though. I get the email to read when there is a new post instead of having to come to the forum once a week and see if anything is new.

Thanks, you can just become a fan on facebook or subscribe to the new twitter account. My publisher now handles all press, but i will try to mirror all posts etc.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gettysburg-Armored-Warfare/180953878604592

http://www.twitter.com/ArmoredWarfare

And of course you can follow my gamedev journal, add to your favorites and adjust the notification settings for push updates.

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/289-radioactive-software/

Thanks for the comments...will keep doing it. Yes I think it's pretty effieicnt how I work now...no arguing about how to do things, and I can just get lost and work for 15 hours at a time without having to worry about an army of people making changes to the same code.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Gettysburg: Armored Warfare All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: