Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Slammer.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Radioactive-Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: The Slammer. Reply with quote

I've been working on the jail today [which is in the police station's basement]. I wish I had more time to work on it, especially the light maps, but I've only afforded myself 1 day to work on this, I was hoping to get the illegal gambling business finished today as well....but things dragged on. Numerous bugs in Milkshape3D & Light Map Maker, particularly the way it handles large groups of triangles > 30k...I'll spare the details, but I was going around and around just trying to get the 10000+ surfaces exported from light map maker into a single group in Ms3D, I ended up having to ues multiple groups, and export in steps, etc...what a pain...and I'm not 100% satisfied with the lightmaps which took about 20 min to generate.

It looks awesome with 1 light source...with 6 of them the lighting becomes confusing. I'm thinking it might be better to just seperate each gang into different rooms, verses having all the gangs in one common room, so they can see eachother. I'm sure once the player models are rendred the FPS will be shitty on most comps. My 8800 gets ~500 FPS with just one jail cell...with 6 I get about 200 FPS. @ 1280x1024 8x FSAA and full motion blur + bloom I get 120 FPS which is totally fillrate limited due to motion blur / bloom...ehhh.

Here is the final result...at least until I get more time to work on it....

The reference photos, I liked the bed from the alcatraz cell, the bars from the other cell, and I was really going for a large 'holding cell' look for the jail cells, since each gang will have their own cell.

And here is the step by step....

Screenshot from Light Map Maker...I get like 0.01 FPS...but the results are good, so I can't really complain. They saved me a lot of time.

Nicely packed lightmaps...thanks Light Map Maker *thumbs up & cheesy smile*

[img]http://www.radioactive-software.com/gangwar/Mar27/JailLM2.jpgp[/img]

Thats it for now...next 2 days will be spent writing code to handle all the basement stuff. Yay.

- Danny
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

b0redum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you plan to do with the prison? Exactly how will they play a roll in the game? The graphics are looking very nice.
Fiya
Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Jail Pics Reply with quote

Heh haven't posted for awhile I just check the site out once in a while...

Thats some pretty nice texture, will that cause problems on moderate computers? Because online games tend to have less, graphics wise... Or perhaps graphical options like 1/4, 1/2, or full texture resolution would be good to consider?
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right well you can always lower the texture quality...also all basement textures, etc are loaded when you enter the basement so it's not gonna waste memory. These screenshots use 1024x1024 textures, you can lower the quality down to 256x256.

- Dan
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oy i think bubbas gonna wait till you get arrested dgreen then meet you in the showers Surprised
rappen
Mini-Me

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlord11030 wrote:
oy i think bubbas gonna wait till you get arrested dgreen then meet you in the showers Surprised

wow, freaky Confused

Medcraft
Jehovah's Witness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0redum wrote:
What do you plan to do with the prison? Exactly how will they play a roll in the game? The graphics are looking very nice.

Is it for looks or is there an actual purpose?
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medcraft wrote:
b0redum wrote:

Is it for looks or is there an actual purpose?

Yea you get get arrested and sent to jail. You can surrender to cops, so your gang has to pay to get you out, or you can wait it out...thought they'll count agaisnt your gang population limit.

warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so on would it show over the picture of your gangsters a slash across them or something? jail bars?
TermlessHalo
Street thug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rats in jails dgreen? Laughing But the cells look sweet.
warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

their are tons of rats in jail..

are we talking about animals though?
-Secondlife
-There
-SAMP
www.rl-rpg.nl/forum/index.php
www.radioactive-software.com
Don Moris.
The Australian
The Aussie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Slammer. Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:
I've been working on the jail today [which is in the police station's basement]. I wish I had more time to work on it, especially the light maps, but I've only afforded myself 1 day to work on this, I was hoping to get the illegal gambling business finished today as well....but things dragged on. Numerous bugs in Milkshape3D & Light Map Maker, particularly the way it handles large groups of triangles > 30k...I'll spare the details, but I was going around and around just trying to get the 10000+ surfaces exported from light map maker into a single group in Ms3D, I ended up having to ues multiple groups, and export in steps, etc...what a pain...and I'm not 100% satisfied with the lightmaps which took about 20 min to generate.

It looks awesome with 1 light source...with 6 of them the lighting becomes confusing. I'm thinking it might be better to just seperate each gang into different rooms, verses having all the gangs in one common room, so they can see eachother. I'm sure once the player models are rendred the FPS will be shitty on most comps. My 8800 gets ~500 FPS with just one jail cell...with 6 I get about 200 FPS. @ 1280x1024 8x FSAA and full motion blur + bloom I get 120 FPS which is totally fillrate limited due to motion blur / bloom...ehhh.

Here is the final result...at least until I get more time to work on it....

The reference photos, I liked the bed from the alcatraz cell, the bars from the other cell, and I was really going for a large 'holding cell' look for the jail cells, since each gang will have their own cell.

And here is the step by step....

Screenshot from Light Map Maker...I get like 0.01 FPS...but the results are good, so I can't really complain. They saved me a lot of time.

Nicely packed lightmaps...thanks Light Map Maker *thumbs up & cheesy smile*

[img]http://www.radioactive-software.com/gangwar/Mar27/JailLM2.jpgp[/img]

Thats it for now...next 2 days will be spent writing code to handle all the basement stuff. Yay.

- Danny

Uh dats a fukin big cell.. i wish da bloody cells ere in aus was as big as that Sad
Rarusu
Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ye speak of yer own experience Very Happy What were the charge, if i may ask?
rappen
Mini-Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol here the prisons are like the shiz, we have nice beds, TV, own toilet lol

Rarusu
Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, i have to say that prisoners in Norway are quite well off. Much of what rappen and many more somewhat smaller stuff. And they ain't raped in the shower!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Radioactive-Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: