Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

City Editor 2.0 just about finished...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Radioactive-Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: City Editor 2.0 just about finished... Reply with quote

Just about done with the city editor...I still have to finalize the building / extra tools.

Overall I guess I couldn't ask for better results, given that I've only spent 6 days building the editor and terrain codebase from the ground up.

Here is a screenshot of a sunset in-game. The new terrain is now fully integrated into the game engine. Physics / traffic / AI etc. now works with it as well.

Terrain + trees...

Here are some higher res images in-editor showing how the terrain looks with some trees....

Probably the most complex issue I've had to deal with is proper placement of roads, and limiting the terrain heights accordingly.

It was crucial to keep the un-modified terrain, and the modified terrain height as seperate values, so if you remove a piece of road in the editor, the terrain will snap back to it's normal height [grin]

Here you can see some images from the editor, the black lines show the raw terrain height points, the blue lines show the modified height points, to make the roads look more natural.

Still it's up to the map's creator to be sure things 'look good' because the editor will allow you to place roads at very steep inclines, which looks odd in some situations.

Road placement tool....

Some screens of a test city I made in a matter of minutes...

More random screens somebody might find interesting...these were taken at various stages in the last 2 days.

Does this remind you of the default XP desktop background?!?

That's it for now...I had to delay my test session today because of some random bugs probably tied to the gang spawning functions, because the test maps are so sparce I think the gang placement code is going into an infinite loop...I have to investigate. *Plays ghostbusters theme, replacing the word ghost with bug*

- Danny
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

rappen
Mini-Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it on your GameJournal. It looks pretty good.
H-bomb estralla guerrera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: city editor Reply with quote

You rock buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my life goals is to be like you. is city editor for sale, and if so, how much? you do amazing work, can you tell me were you got programing, and modeling tatorials. becasuse with those i might be able to help you after i get some traing, by the i can't see the Anti-bot-question.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, thanks man....yes the city editor comes with the game, I want to include a way for people to upload / view user made cities from in-game. I think that would rock.

As for programming tutorials etc....I've posted lots of info in the Programming section of the forums,...you should scope it out Smile

Glad you like how it's looking also Very Happy

I'll have some good stuff in the next day or two....

- Danny
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

rappen
Mini-Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:
Heh, thanks man....yes the city editor comes with the game, I want to include a way for people to upload / view user made cities from in-game. I think that would rock.

As for programming tutorials etc....I've posted lots of info in the Programming section of the forums,...you should scope it out Smile

Glad you like how it's looking also Very Happy

I'll have some good stuff in the next day or two....

- Danny

Good to hear!
Glover Klien
The Drunken Philosopher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet sunset dude
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey glover, thanks Smile

H-bomb estralla guerrera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: broken glass Reply with quote

I have a idea about breaking windows, i think (if you know how to animayt water), all you would have to do is to create a sequence like that but with white, shiny, colored pigments. i THINK it would be as simple as sponing blood patterns. Also with cvreating large, or building glass patterns, just spon about 175,(or less), glass pieces, and if that number works than spawn less. Whos gonna know. Then this is very GANGSTER, make it so the player can pick up glass pieces to stab people. Also try to use bottles, soda cans, beer glasses, trash can lids, pipes, (both regulare, and drug). and other every day items you can use as weapons, either to stun, or kill people. That would give many options for players.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea there are lots of ways to do it, the most standard way is to subdivide the glass surface and spawn particles. The problem is that the game uses a tile based system, and inorder for each building to have it's glass in a unique state, I'd have to store the glass for each building [or those which are shot out] as a unique mesh in memory, and that would ballon the memory usage. At least I would have to add a flag for each glass triangle, on each tile...flagging the glass as 'shot out' or 'solid'.

When deciding what to add/not add I have to weigh the time needed to integrate the feature / verses what is coming out of it....I see dynamic glass being low on the list...but I suppose If I run out of things to do [will never happen] I'll get dynamic glass in there Smile

Also the usage of the dynamic glass particles as weapons is such a fringe idea Smile Maybe if I had a team of people working on the game like most studios do, I could assign somebody to work on the glass for 4 months...

- Danny

H-bomb estralla guerrera

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: city editor Reply with quote

Is it possilbe to buy city editor with out buying gang war? because i don't think im allowed to own the game, im so sorry. You are what i astrive to be.Do you think i should be a game designer, is it difficult.And most importantly, is it fun. I thiunk the most fun part of game design is makeing the models. So, if possilbe can i just buy city editor when the game comes out. i will make as many levels as humanly possilbe for you if i you will let me have the program.
H-bomb estralla guerrera

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: city editor Reply with quote

I think i forgot to mention, i will buy the city editor program from you. thank s alot buy.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm..why can't you buy the game?
It's going to be packaged w/the game since it's so cloely tied to it.

I'm sure there is some way you can get the game...just order it through my site or something.

I don't think selling it as a stand alone city editor will work :-/

- Danny

warlord11030
Moris Family Mafia Don

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

his parents probably wont let him get an M rated game.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlord11030 wrote:
his parents probably wont let him get an M rated game.

Tell them it's not a gangster game, it's a modern day entrepreneurial simulation. Wink w/ city building and fun explosions, and bloody street battles...errr you might want to leave that last part out. It's all about how you sell it to them Very Happy

8300dvo
Number Two

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say you use the gibs from postal 2:AW he will deffinitly be allowed it then Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Radioactive-Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: