Radioactive-Software Radioactive-Software
Forum to discuss Radioactive-Software Products

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logic.cpp
Super-Cool-Dude

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: More Questions Reply with quote

Along with the game engine and everytihng, did you yourself create your own world editor (the one we see in the screenshots) or did you use some ready made application for that ? and/or did you use any tools/libraries to get your world editor working ? GUI libraries ? 3D modeling libraries ? other stuff ?

Last edited by logic.cpp on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote everything from scratch, editor, gui, everything.

It's all in-game, you can access the city editor off the root menu, there are a bunch of threads about the city editor on the forum is you search "city editor" or "map editor".

- Danny
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"
He replied, "I just kind of optimized for game play."

rappen
Mini-Me

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreen wrote:

It's all in-game, you can access the city editor off the root menu, there are a bunch of threads about the city editor on the forum is you search "city editor" or "map editor".

- Danny

yea

dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rappen wrote:
dgreen wrote:

- Danny

yea

You have almost 25% of the posts on this whole forum...impressive Twisted Evil
the Exo-Hamiltonian Pattern Language Movement, or the Intra-Urban Deconstructionist Sub-Culture Hypothesis?"

logic.cpp
Super-Cool-Dude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: How do you implement your static geometry (streets/pavements/buildings/etc) 's collision volumes with PhysX? Do you create zillions of boxes/planes? do you make your own mesh volumes? do you cook mesh volumes?

2: Are you using a streaming world loader?

- if yes, whats your algorithm to know when its time to load / dump resources

- if no, how the heck do you deal with the heavy memory cost of having tons of resources loaded
rappen
Mini-Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny can't give you those information, it's top secret.

DANNY.....don't do it!

dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logic.cpp wrote:
1: How do you implement your static geometry (streets/pavements/buildings/etc) 's collision volumes with PhysX? Do you create zillions of boxes/planes? do you make your own mesh volumes? do you cook mesh volumes?

2: Are you using a streaming world loader?

- if yes, whats your algorithm to know when its time to load / dump resources

- if no, how the heck do you deal with the heavy memory cost of having tons of resources loaded

I just the group naming functionality of Milkshape3D [ my city model editor ] to create the various groups, ie: a 'lod1' in the name means that group is part of the high res mesh, 'lod2' means part of the low res mesh, 'collision' represents the collision mesh, so i can create the collision meshes inside an editor, I then merge them all into the physX collision mesh and coook it, it's about 100 lines of code to generate the world's collision mesh, thats not bad imo [ including terrain ]. I ususally create seperate collision mesh, at the very least a box with 10 triangles [ no botton ], but i could use the same group/mesh for all 3 by simply naming the group 'lod1_lod2_collision', the flags ar enot mutually exclusive.

The main resource I cache in/out are the textures since they are the lions share of the memory usage. I'm still tweaking /fine tuning it, but memory usage stays at about 1.1GB, and idles at 700MB. I have 5 LODs for each texture, and over 5GB of texture data alone.

logic.cpp
Super-Cool-Dude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm i just came to realize i cant survive without a world editor...

1: how do i make buttons that do stuff? do you use winapi or a library like wxWidgets or something?

2: whats the basic procedure thats pretty much same in all click-and-drag operations? Raycast / unproject / find object raycast intersects / change pose ?

3: i need a book about GUI development...
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logic.cpp wrote:
Hm i just came to realize i cant survive without a world editor...

1: how do i make buttons that do stuff? do you use winapi or a library like wxWidgets or something?

2: whats the basic procedure thats pretty much same in all click-and-drag operations? Raycast / unproject / find object raycast intersects / change pose ?

3: i need a book about GUI development...

GUI is the easiest part for me, I wrote from scratch, the logic is very basic. Start with a button, move to a check box, then text, combo, and list boxes.

You'll need to design a 'control' class, a 'window' class, and a GUI class. the gui class is made up of the open windows, windows are made up of various controls.

There will be different states for the controls, you just need to dermine if the mouse button is down & over the object thats all you need for interaction. Win32 doesn't play with DirectX, you'll need to render it all.

There are no books on GUI development, i think it might be a chapter in a game dev book, check your local store...it's one of the simplest aspects to implement but will take forever for me to type out, since you'll inevitably have more questions, you should spend years practicing and working. I never posted once on a forum for help until i was 3-4 yeras into programming C, i was like 14 or 15 years old, and my first post was regarding vehicle physics on terrain. I think you should do more reserach.

regarding click and drag, again youll want to have states for your windows as well...a GUI system is basically just a simple state machine.

I don't get what you mean by click and drag, are you talking about an operation in 2d or 3d space? Please elaborate. I'll try to help, but you must understand my time is limited.

- Danny

logic.cpp
Super-Cool-Dude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no prob about the time limitations

Im talking about performing visualized translation/rotation/scaling upon 3d models with the mouse. The very very basic things you have in all 3d modeling tools. there has to be some 2d to 3d projection here, the mouse's position is 2d and we need it's clicks to select and affect 3d models.
dgreen
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no projection necessary, except to determine the object to be selected.

The basis of rotation/translation is only dependent on the axis created by normalizing a vector from the eye to the object selected, you can build a basis off that information alone, also it depends on so many other factors if you're going for a maya type thing, or a CAD type setup with side/front/top/3d viewports.

Also you'll usually only want to rotate the object placed in the game world on 1 axies [ the vertical y-axis ], which can be built by determinign the alignment on the ground where the objects rests.

I assume you just want to place a house somewhere on terrain and rotate the house. Using this example you'll see that you'd never need to rotate the house upside down or side to side. You'll just want to rotate it left/right [looking down on the object]. For that you could just use two keys to rotate the selected object.

When coding these types of systems you do need to consider expandability, but only to an extent, the old adage K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid alweays applies.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Radioactive-Software Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: